Saturday, March 1, 2008

Article of Particles



News of the headworthy: on our front porch ceiling sits a motion-sensitive light; when it's dark out, the light will illumine when there has been motion within the bounds of its field of detection. We've all seen 'em, no big whoop. But, my friends, here's something to think about: when I bring Roscoe out at night, the movement of light falling out from the foyer sets off the porch light. I'm not describing this well. Let me try again.

The motion detector picks up on movement, right? Okay. Now the field of detection is well away from the door to our apartment, and the sensor faces away at a ninety degree angle. However, when light from the inside (foyer) falls across the path of detection, the sensor picks up on it and turns the porch light on. What's odd to me is that this is a tangible manifestation of the theory (fact, I suppose) that light is the reflection/refraction/absorption/etc of charged particles already extant in the field of observation. Basically that light cast in any direction will to some degree alter that particular field. The light from the foyer 'bounces' into particles extant on the porch and they bump and grind and create a 'disturbance' among the previously placid field of observation. The point of interest for all this calls to mind the issue of light pollution. If there is indeed any modicum of disturbance when light is cast into an otherwise quiet arena, there is disturbance created. This postulation goes a long way in illuminating (pun totally intended) the argument for the detriments of the saturation of EMFs, most commonly associated contemporarily with cellular devices. Think about it. Freaky.

Did I mention that at the deacons meeting today the idea of considering a bid to place a cell-tower in the steeple was broached? Most in attendence were thrilled at the idea that the tower placement could provide quite a bit of needed revenue. I remained silent on the issue for now (there's no dearth of bureacracy involved to proceed, I'm sure), but am prepared to excavate the peice I wrote on EMFs years back for HV...if only for the bibliography and source material. Seems like a direction I hope we don't need to consider.

On that note, an excerpt from an extraordinary Rilke poem sent along by Zee today:

Take your well-disciplined strengths

and stretch them between two

opposing poles. Because inside human beings

is where God learns.

Thanks, Zee. The late-entry contest is dedicated to you. Easy one tonight. Just finish these profound lyrics from Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons: "I look at you and my blood boils hot, I feel my temperature rise. I'm holding on gimme what you got....."

a) Do you like steak fries

b) They've grafted skin from your thighs

c) I'm allergic to most hair dyes

d) I generally eschew ties

e) (write in your own...could win...)

As always, good luck. Randy Jackson will review the entries and make some general and bland comment before choosing the winner.

2 comments:

Adam said...

.....oh crap I've got hives?
.....wanna be one of my wives?
.....but be careful with knives?
I'm awful at this so I will stop.

Lee said...

Ooo, sorry...the actual contest was to complete the lyrics by Benny Mardonez, "If I could fly, I'd lift you up, I'd take you into the night....". The correct response was "I'm not wearing a cup". Randy responds, "Yo, dog, you know, you got talent...I just think that wasn't the best song for you." Paula, of course, thinks you're the greatest thing since spiced rum...