Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Falls into Grace

I'm going to depart from the published canon of this blog for a moment to address something of importance and ye that would nay-say get my tongue sticking out, momentarily.
Eliot Spitzer, the ambitious former Attorney General cum Governor of this fine confused dichotomy of New York, has resigned. Props to the cantankorous and aggressive Joe Bruno for, at least to the ears of the republic, taken the actions of his most vociferous adversary with guarded class and sympathy. That aside, this is the perfect opportunity for each of us to grow. How? Glad you asked. First and foremost, it's important to realize that part of the reason we love this kind of negative and destructive sensationalism is that it makes us feel good, better than, like we as individuals of a species are momentarily superior. We're not, of course, and I hope that's not a crushing blow to any egos out there. So it's so easy, yes, easy to fall into the pool with so many others and bash and harangue and generally wallow in and create misery. Here we have a choice to not do that, en masse. Let's.
How to avoid that synapse of doom that is so deeply carved into the cerebral infrastructure? Here's where I start: it's his journey. His journey affects his wife, his children, Joe Bruno, Sheldon Silver, all the way down the line. Here's the beauty: his journey effects even you. How is this germane, even possible? Allow me to expound, because I love to expound.
Eliot Spitzer, Governor of New York, is busted in a sting operation of a high-end prostitute ring. He has championed the cause of tough, no-nonsense, by-the-book prosecution of all manner of crimes as Attorney General. He won the election for Governor by a 70% populous vote, riding a gleaming white horse of moral high ground and swift and immediate change in a legislature that is historically a lumbering, impotent behemoth. Now he has lost all credibility. Great! This is an opportunity for this individual to make a tremendous personal leap in his journey in this lifetime. He made the choices he made due, in part I'm guessing, to a deeper sense of disconnect or emptiness or sorrow, etc ad infinitum. Part of the human condition we can all relate to, yes? So he needs to learn something, a big something granted, from all this. There's a sublime truth in that for all of us. What's more is that we can look at our own shortcomings or deep sorrows and understand better how to drive around with them in our conciousness without running off the road. We've all got them, the experiences of the entire spectrum of emotions, and we're all just trying to put them where they belong. Maybe this is what it takes for Mr Spitzer to get there. I'm not suggesting we condone destructive behavior, I am suggesting we augment our thinking around the bigger picture and act with compassion. No more stones to throw. It's an archaic practice that has had it's day, let's be done with it. No more character assasination, it's spiritually immature and frankly crass. We can learn to be kinder, to act with compassion, and we can learn that we all have something to learn from each other. To do otherwise is to defy that which is holy, which, my friends, is us...our lives.
I'll end soon, I promise, but I would like to share an excerpt from a reading one of my teachers presented to me this morning.
"...to attempt obedience to God in any circumstance is to find experience opening on meaning, and meaning is holy."
As I remove my rougher cynical edges with the 220 grit of understanding, these things have profound impact and deep meaning to me. I hope it is so with you.
Mr Spitzer is a troubled man and he and his family are in tremendous pain right now. Let's give them that and leave our baser judgements out of the airwaves. We'll all heal a little bit and feel a little lighter. When we're strong enough we'll pray.
Go out into the world joyful in the fact that God would use you to make a difference in other peoples' lives. Return to no one evil for evil, for you are known, you are seen, and you are loved beyond the scope of your farthest reaching imagination. This I truly believe. May it be so with you. [The former being transliterated from another wonderful teacher, with reverence and gratitude]

1 comment:

Zee said...

so yes, I did plow through (the second time)
I find nothing wrong with it.
Tomorrow is Friday, not Monday.
That is all I can say for now.
And yes, I do appreciate how you rounded things up.