Thursday, March 13, 2008

You've got that sinking feeling


Sometimes you just wanna throw in the towel, flush the whole thing, wrap it in a moist towelette and slip it under your neighbor's car seat. Well that's where a particular email left me today. The first line, and I swear this is true, read, "this is an email to correct the concern that Obama is a muslim."
I am not making this up.
I understand that emotion breeds ignorance, and we're all guilty of it from time to time, but give me a fucking break. (Oh, right, pardon my language...) So first of all, would it be okay to send out a mass mailing stating, "this is to assure you that McCain is not a jew."? No. Period, end of story. So why address some other candidate, or any person else for that matter, in such a ridiculously poised statement? I'm having a hard time even expressing myself here about this, my apologies.
Look, what in the name of God does it matter if someone is a Christian, Hindu, Taoist, Muslim, Jew, agnostic, a warlock...why does it matter and why cast the discussion in such a perjorative light?
You've gotten my point by now; I'm stammering still and will not expound any further tonight. Maybe these poor, ignorant people will at least show the respect to capitalize proper nouns in the future.
For now the toiling, weary, and basically walking dead that make up the majority of this country (and likely the rest of the 'civilized' world) will continue to spew venom and absurdities from a carnal and emotional ground that has no realm where we aspire to be. As Barry Hannah so eloquently phrases in his poetic treatise on the gospel of Mark, "...for now there are no kings, for service is kingly."
Maybe we should take a step back from this material world a few times more often during the day and ask if we're truly speaking and acting as our higher selves.
There's your fucking revolution.
Peace to you all.

2 comments:

Zee said...

Good read Lee and point well taken.
But if Obama actually "were" a Muslim, I would not vote for him.
Why?
Because mankind has not figured out yet how to discriminate between godly and worldly matters and put them into their appropriate places.
Muslims in above respect have the worst track record.
And worst of all, Muslims took away the joy of flight, the lightness of being, the ease of bridging over, the promise of connectivity.
As much rant I could produce about Christians and Jews and their established glorifications of human behavior in their respected system or churches, and the downfall of it all - they at least never took civilian hostages on a plane, a free flying plane in the name of their religion.
There is a silly German proverb that says: Mitgegangen, mitgefangen! (you walk along, you get caught along)
Muslims have a situation like this. They walked along and never questioned their orientation. Muslims in general, and that is in general, have blinded themselves to see the realities of the 21st century - they are still stuck in 600 AC where Mohamed left of.
There are exceptions. For example there is this guy who persisted to change the authorities mind in Egypt (long story) to stop using pesticides on cotton fields. Now virtually all cotton from Egypt (and that is one of the largest cotton exporters on the world market) is organic, due to this Muslim individual who in his altered state of mind figured out how to combine and make peace between Mohammedanism and Christianity ... basically. But it is a long story indeed.
But those are the exceptions, the rest of the Muslim population still live in the dark ages, the ages or "state of mind" that now prevent me to be able to enjoy to fly.
For that I despise them, utterly!

Lee said...

Here's a true story: years ago, I had a really hard time with mangos. Funny thing is, I hadn't actually eaten a fresh, properly ripened mango. Fact is, just the very idea of mango turned my stomach mildly. Well, some dear friends gently prodded me to try one, extolling the sumptuous virtues of this very sexy tropical fruit. So one day I gave in and while they were cutting a particularly juicy one open, I asked if I could try just a little piece.
Wow...
There are few things in life I've come to appreciate as much on occasion as a well-ripened, juicy, very sexy mango. All I really had to do was get beyond the stigma I (and my blood-family) had created based on assumptions and simulacrum.
Had I not taken the (albeit small) leap to just try the fruit, I would've continued to miss out on this sublime experience...and would have continued to miss it, and not even realize it.
There's a lot to be said in the perjorative regarding mangos; they're a member of the rhus family if I'm not mistaken, and could give you a good burn. Opening my scope of mere willingness to experience was key.
May it be so with you as well my friend.